Saturday, March 23, 2013

Review (2): Plain Truth


Title: Plain Truth
Author: Jodi Picoult
Published: May 1, 2000
Description: The small town of Paradise, Pennsylvania, is a jewel in Lancaster County -- known for its picture-postcard landscapes and bucolic lifestyle. But that peace is shattered by the discovery of a dead infant in the barn of an Amish farmer. A police investigation quickly leads to two startling disclosures: the newborn's mother is an unmarried Amish woman, eighteen-year-old Katie Fisher. And the infant did not die of natural causes. Although Katie denies the medical proof that she gave birth to the child, circumstantial evidence leads to her arrest for the murder of her baby.
(Read full description on GoodReads)

My Review: I recently started reading Jodi Picoult's books. I love her writing and how detailed she gets. She makes you hang on every word.
Saying that, I had to give this book 4 out of 5 starts. And that's because of the ending. I knew there was more to the story of what Katie was saying happened to her baby, but she pretty much lied through the whole book and wouldn't admit that she gave birth, so I thought for sure at the end she would confess to the murder. That is not what happened! To say I was shocked is an understatement and I'm not sure still how to feel about this book. With the ending being what it was, was it really necessary for the book to go on for 405 pages and end the way it did?
I'm going to start another one of Ms. Picoult's books because I can't seem to get enough of her writing. But this wasn't a favorite.

No comments: